Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars Forum

Supporting continuing development for Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-06 16:17:25

mhochler
Administrator

Demise of Command Central

The goal is to develop a web based interface to the game.  EWP and MSS Damage Calculators are up and an S/C Design Program is next.  Plan is to proceed with web-based order entry and validation as well as automated running of test turns through the web interface.  Turn results and all the functionality of Central Command will be available in web format.  Optionally, a PDF of all systems and S/Cs could be generated for off-line viewing.

#2 2018-10-07 14:00:26

sfatula

Re: Demise of Command Central

This would be great, along with things such as "filters" where you could see all orders for a given S/C, etc.

#3 2018-10-07 14:50:03

sfatula

I would like to suggest a different way of doing orders that then requires no validator (per se) at all. So, S/Cs would do their orders "immediately" from the point of view of the turn being written. There would be no cryptic orders. So, for example, say I have OPC1. That OPC might click on combat, and, the game would show all potential targets where they are at the beginning of the turn. I might pick pre maneuver phase, allocate some percentage, etc. So, there is no PMM or PME order per se.

Or, I might pick a ship, and, click tactical maneuver and dock to an OBC (but the game would check I have sufficient speed, enough fuel, etc.). Now at the OBC, it assumes the ship will be docked docked, I can write pickup orders, etc. Of course, the reality is the ship may not get there, could be destroyed in combat. But the game would always be checking real time orders, and, allowing orders based on those orders. But we the user might never see actual written orders like TMV, whatever. In that way, the game mechanics become much simpler, order writing quicker with less errors, etc. Now, one might change the ship dock move order, and, if you do, you would flag those S/Cs who's orders were dependent on the original move, and, you'd have to redo those accordingly.

Just a quick thought.

#4 2018-10-07 17:52:30

mhochler
Administrator

Was thinking along those lines in the sense that when you looked at the detail of one of your S/Cs you would also see the orders associated with it.  Most orders have an S/C that gives the order but also another S/C, system or orbit which is a target of that order.  This way on the detail view of another s/c, system or orbit you will see orders where it is the target of an order as well.  For example, a detail view on an orbit might show the RPVs targeting it for probing from which S/C.  Could also allow navigation between system views, orbit views and S/C views with hyperlinks.

#5 2018-10-07 18:05:07

mhochler
Administrator

Would probably still keep the old orders to run as inputs to the game engine, but they would be entered into a database and checked for accuracy - i.e. making sure (and giving you the choices to) PME, PMM, etc only on S/Cs in your orbit.  LOD/UNL commands would maybe automatically add a DOC command or give error message if you already have a DOC command to another S/C.  Some "deep" error checking might not be possible because when validating requires reading all the orders the program may become less responsive.  However, being able to run Test Turns at will immediately (which assume that combat doesn't mess with your plan) will help tremendously.

#6 2018-10-09 00:41:17

sfatula

I would expect a modern computer to be able to easily handle the deep checking. Only those orders affecting an S/C have to be considered, not all orders. But it's just an opinion of course. Only way to know is prototyping. I agree internally, orders might be in some fixed format.

#7 2018-10-10 01:13:13

ixnay

Looks like you're fixing the biggest problem with Command Central -- that it is a MS Access app, with all sort of limitations.

The next fix I'd suggest it make order-writing and ship-design leverage easier UI elements.  Maybe I use a slider to move half my fuel to the OBC, for instance.  Or maybe quantities can be bumped up or down in 10% increments instead of typing in values and percentages.  This would make turn entry on a phone considerably easier.

Add more click-and-drag wherever it makes sense, particularly in moving ships around, docking ships, and transferring/targeting ships.

#8 2018-10-12 11:31:46

mhochler
Administrator

The web interface could help by telling you how much FUEL it would take to fire all ASMed EWP and ESH, how much for SPD and HEN for in system jump or per light year -  maybe with a checkbox to indicate whether to include and assume all ASM and ADN orders worked. In other words, all of the side math should be presented to you and something you don’t have to calculate.

The web program can only do so much because too many calculations will cause it to be less responsive. However, I also do some iOS programming which means we can even have an iPhone app for that to do a more enhanced user interface and advanced calculations.

Board footer