Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars Forum

Supporting continuing development for Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-10 00:40:45

sfatula

What is the goal of this project

There are several potential paths here. I'd like to understand where the project is going before committing time to this. I presume we know that the code will be in a much more modern language. Also, I presume we will modernize the interface instead of clunky old VB style screens that take immense time to write orders in. So, beyond that, a few choices:

1. The goal is to replicate the game rules as they existed before the code was lost, same rules where possible, we'll all figure out the rest as best as we can. This takes advantage of a lot of invested time in playtesting.

2. The goal is to make an entirely new game based somewhat loosely on the old game.

3. The goal would be to take as much as we can from the old game, and perhaps add a few things to it to possibly make it more interesting. Rules may be modified, which may have the effect of making the game better, or worse.

For me, where I am in life, I would be interested in #1, not at all in #2, and, probably not but maybe in #3 depending on the scope. #3 is just going to likely be way too much time and effort for design and playtesting for balance, etc.

I am not saying #2 or #3 is wrong. It's just what my interests would be. It could well be #2 or #3 would make for a popular game.

#2 2018-10-10 01:03:20

ixnay

Re: What is the goal of this project

I'd be interested in 1, 2, and 3.  In other words, I'd suggest architecting this such that each game can be modded or configured independently.  I might want to try a game where the cost of each new tech level goes up exponentially instead of linearly, for instance.  I've also suggested a few other rules mods/additions.

But if the popular consensus is to focus on just #1 (replicating CW as faithfully as possible), I'd still be interested.

I will note that Vern himself modified the game more or less continuously.

#3 2018-10-11 08:11:49

mhochler
Administrator

Primarily I think we will try to replicate the game (#1) and in that process be guided by the community as to the way the undocumented parts could/did/should work.  Testing the parts (new additions or old) would not necessarily require setting up a game.  For example, to test different damage allocation algorithms I would set up a test web page where you can see how certain amount of damage would be randomly assigned to a ship you design or a colony where you could prioritize the broad groups of items.

As far as #3, we could have a discussion about which elements we like or not.  BEaMers, for instance, nicety or easier gameplay or a kludge for the less experienced player?

Had a radical thought about #2 - a redesign as a real-time (albeit slow) strategy game where your CNW are continually working on a queue, factories are regularly spewing out items, etc.  When you see a ship approaching you get a email when they will arrive in orbit 11 (i.e. like on 10/15 @ 13:55)

#4 2018-10-11 12:11:17

sfatula

Oh, I agree that testing some pieces would not necessarily require setting up a game. However, testing is different than actual use as well for certain things. Introducing new elements into the game can cause radical changes that may not go as anticipated. You wouldn't really know the effect of formula changes, new unit types, etc. until games are played. You could only test that they function as intended.

#5 2018-10-11 12:59:10

ixnay

There are some "slow real-time-strategy" web-based games out there, where it takes a day for a ship to travel a light-year, for instance.  You get notifications if you want, but the pace is slow enough that you can reliably check in once a day and be perfectly fine.

I'm on the fence about it.  Turn-based is nice in that everyone stays on the same beat.  RTS is nice in that you can always monitor and fine-tune and obsess over your stuff, and it makes "drop-outs" or "missed turns" less of a problem.

#6 2018-10-11 14:44:03

sfatula

I've played a couple of those real time online games, did so for a month or so and then decided I liked turn based much better. I mostly like games like Starbase Orion, a wonderful turn based game, one of the best I have ever played.

#7 2018-10-15 10:00:29

ixnay

Starbase Orion is a port of Master of Orion II over to the ipad world, right?  I tried it, but I decided I like MOO-2 better on the PC.  I still play it from time to time, though I've never played it against human opponents.  You can buy it on Steam or GOG.  If anyone wants to play a game or two, let me know!

#8 2018-10-15 11:24:46

sfatula

The It started that way and then it was greatly improved, a lot better than the original. It's the best designed bame I've ever played. Beautiful on iPad and phone. A lot better balance and options with systems. There are a lot of players, tournaments, etc. I finished first in the second tier bracket the one time I entered, and, we finished second in a team competition. The developers have been very responsive, huge playtest for new rules and balance, etc.

Last edited by sfatula (2018-10-15 11:25:18)

Board footer