Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars Forum

Supporting continuing development for Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-10 00:57:30

ixnay

LFS for FRM?

One thing I have advocated for in the past was that FRM consume not just energy, but also LFS capacity.  Farms on OPC would not have this requirement, but in any other S/C they would.  This would model the fact that it takes considerable water and atmospheric management to maintain plant growth.  It would also model animal farming -- livestock consume prodigious quantities of water, plant materials, etc.  In the real world, farm consumption of water dwarfs all other uses.

#2 2018-10-10 11:20:34

ixnay

Re: LFS for FRM?

Another idea -- FOOD should decay over time.  Or food storage should consume LFS capacity (at some fraction).  Or "hard tack" style food (freeze-dried) could be made, but would require extra inputs and/or a higher tech level.

#3 2018-10-12 00:31:24

mhochler
Administrator

I see your point, but one goal is to try to make the game less complex, so newer players don't fail because of what they would see as "gotchas".  For example, military supplies (MTSP) existed in EC which were really cheap to produce but if you forgot them on your SHP a huge invasion force would be stymied - which is why I assume they have have been eliminated.

If one thinks of FRM-2+ as hydroponic farms for ESC/OBC and FRM-6+ as farms the can exist on SHPs (with higher fuel cost) I would have to imagine that the assumption is the atmospheric management is "baked" into them.  Need to keep it simple for (hopefully) new players - i.e. LFS keeps POP breathing and FRM have food to feed to keep alive too.  As for FOOD wastage we just throw it in the null entropy bins, like in Dune.

Honestly, I would have to focus first on just getting the game (I think) I understand up and running.  New features either have to simplify (like BEM to make it easy to move material in system (as opposed to building cargo SHPs) or be compelling to improving gameplay experience in some way.

#4 2018-10-14 09:34:48

pratttroyz

no life support for farms-keep it simple

Board footer