Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars Forum

Supporting continuing development for Empyrean Challenge / Cluster Wars

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-10 01:16:26

ixnay

help with coding?

I am a software developer.  I'm no genius, but I can write code, design objects, etc.  If you would like some help, let me know.  If not, that's fine.  I can stick with design suggestions, playtesting, and commentary.

#2 2018-10-11 07:54:35

mhochler
Administrator

Re: help with coding?

Much appreciated, will see as this project progresses if I can pass off a portion to you which would be of interest.  Right now still in design phase trying to work through algorithms for the stuff that was not well documented or exposed.  Figure to use mySQL as a database and JavaScript (which I am learning) along with React (part of Node.js).  Any experience with these languages or tools?

Also, universe generation was a bit of a black box too.  If you want to think about and workup some code to generate a universe it could  be done in any language with which you are comfortable.

#3 2018-10-11 12:41:46

ixnay

I have done loads of SQL Server and Oracle.  MySQL would be no different.  (The "noSQL" stuff would be different, but in the context of CW that would be unnecessary -- we are dealing with genuinely relational data sets here.)

I use JS randomly all the time, but haven't specialized in particular libraries or frameworks.  I just use what the guy before me used, and read the docs as needed.  I'm a meatball programmer.

I can write something to do universe generation.  That seems like a good place to start.  I'll see what I can frame up.

Just to be clear -- you're the architect.  I'll adhere to your guidelines.

#4 2018-10-16 17:31:57

ixnay

FYI, here's a link to setting up a Node.js development environment on google cloud:
https://cloud.google.com/nodejs/docs/setup

And here is a sample node.js web app tutorial for google cloud:
https://cloud.google.com/nodejs/getting … torial-app

I'm not committed to google - I just looked for a comparison of the free-tier options for the "big 3" cloud hosts, and this article suggests that google's free tier might be best for this project:
https://www.computerworlduk.com/cloud-c … d-3676667/

#5 2018-10-19 15:01:56

ixnay

I'm going to crack into this over the weekend.  I'll set up a google cloud environment, and likely a github repo, but can easily abandon or change it if you have something already spun up.  I'm going to try with just the basics -- get a node.js web app running, get a sql database of some sort going, do some CRUD transactions, etc.  Proof of concept stuff.

I have been reading up on cloud hosting, but haven't really cranked up a web app on one.  And it's been a while since I started a brand new application from scratch, so I will likely do stuff wrong.  If you have expertise and want to lay down a proof of concept yourself, I'll be good with that.

I'll keep you posted in this thread.  Also, if anyone else wants to pick something to do, please post here.

#6 2018-10-19 23:41:53

mhochler
Administrator

The universe generation can be in whatever language you are comfortable and familiar with because it is external to any web interface.
We really need to develop and test algorithms.  I will try to get you the original structure of the tables - although in Microsoft Access, it is strongly typed and will translate well to mySQL.

Board footer